How Do You Communicate Your Hustle?
Communicating hustle will be the theme of tonight's Youngry event where my start-up Pepper Bandits, will sponsor the pizza offered for a tasting of Fuegorita, our all-natural hot pepper blend. So, it seemed fitting to reflect on how that topic shows up in my work. Do you work harder, spreading yourself thinly, double-booking and pushing yourself to the brink of exhaustion each day?
Or do you work smarter, remaining hyper-focused on performing only the most essential tasks required to move you closer to your clearly defined objective?
I'm no model citizen when it comes to working efficiently -- so "do as I say, not as I do," -- but here are a few things I try to do with my hustle every day.
1) Driven (literally) - I don't have a choice except to be driven -- my success depends on it. So I fill my days accordingly, using every waking moment to attend to my many irons in the fire -- even when that means driving all over Los Angeles to get 'er done.
2) Decisive - I make decisions quickly because I know how critical that is to achieving my ultimate objective.
3) Dialogue - I believe conversation drives progress, so I make a point of having active conversations which drive my next set of actions.
4) Direct - I don't have time to bullshit you and I certainly don't have time for yours. I will always give you my honest assessment of where things stand, even if the truth hurts sometimes. I hope you'll always do the same for me.
5) Discipline - I suck at discipline, but I work to improve my time management skills each day. From saying no, to being respectful of others' time and managing my own, I work hard each day to keep an earnest focus on the prize.
6) Downtime - I know the importance of downtime and I look forward to yoga, basketball, guitar and family time because I know those are the things that are really most important and recharge my batteries so I can do more of the work I love.
These are the ways I communicate my hustle. How do you communicate yours?